It’s summer time and I am up to my ears in garlic scapes.
I literally can not eSCAPE them.
Yes, that is me drowning in a swamp of scapes.
This really happened.
(the photo happened, I didn’t actually drown)
I recently had an opportunity to provide some Nourishing Noms for a beach photo shoot with other local vendors, but the recent torrential rain forced us to reschedule, leaving me with more food than I knew what to do with!
I had teamed up with Casco Bay Organics to provide me with some local, organic produce for the shoot and they were SO GENEROUS with their veggies. Not only did I get my weekly produce box delivered, but they supplied me with all sorts of produce and herbs to showcase at the shoot. I was able to cook and save most of the food I received, but I still had this shopping bag overflowing with garlic scapes that I had to use up. So what did I decide to do?
MAKE PESTO, obviously.
Actually, that might not be so obvious. It turns out, the same day I received my weight in scapes, my aunt had brought me some scapes from her garden with the complaint that she had no idea what to do with them!
Well, dear friends. Here is a basic Vegan Garlic Scape Pesto you can use to feel oh-so-fancy this summer. So grab some scapes, check out Casco Bay Organics if you’re in the Portland area and enjoy some seriously Nourishing Noms!
Garlic Scape Pesto
(Vegan, Dairy-Free, Grain Free)
1 bunch garlic scapes, chopped (8-10 stalks)
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup fresh parsley
3 tbsp almonds (I’ve had great results with hemp seeds as well!)
1/2-3/4 cup olive oil
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1. Trim the knobs off the ends of the garlic scapes and rough chop the stalks.
2. Toss scapes, basil, parsley and almonds into a food processor and whirl on high, scraping down the sides periodically.
3. Begin to slowly drizzle olive oil while processing.
4. Add nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and blend until you reach your desired consistency. I prefer mine chunky and less oily.
5. Serve on grilled chicken or fish, toss with zucchini pasta for a delicious raw dish or you could even use this pesto as a dip for chips and veggies!
Show me your summer pesto recipes on Instagram by tagging ME–
@NourishingNomsWithSam and using the hashtag #Nourishingnoms !