Every year, Al and I find ourselves saying the same thing.
“We don’t go big for Valentines Day”
and yet, every year, we exchange love notes, prepare a special dinner or make eachother healthy treats.
It is so very nice to enjoy a special day with your best friend. It never hurts to be reminded that you are loved.
Today I offer you two recipes that can be made at the same time. I blend my own coconut butter, so I used one bag and split the batch in half to make two flavors. BOOM.
Mint for him, Orange for me.
These babies are dairy free and low sugar.
If you are looking at this recipe and you’re NOT interested in making your own chocolate, I would suggest melting chocolate chips and using that instead.
Lily’s or Enjoy life are brands I have used before.
For those of you who know me, you know sugar and I don’t get along.
For this recipe, I set out to make it completely sugar free. Unfortunately, the intense dark chocolate really needs a powerful sweet flavor to balance it out. I knew stevia alone wouldn’t cut it, so I reached for my maple syrup. PERFECT touch.
I encourage you to use silicone molds for these candies. They make it a hell of a lot easier to remove the candy once they are hardened.
Enjoy this recipe and have a nourishing Valentines Day!
Cream Filled Chocolates
Recipe by Samantha Rispoli
½ cup coconut butter
½ small ripe avocado
2 tsp peppermint extract
1/2 tsp liquid stevia
salt to taste
½ cup coconut butter
½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 tsp orange zest
½ tsp liquid stevia
¼ tsp salt
recipe adapted from Wellness Mama’s recipe here
1 cup cocoa butter
½ cup raw cacao powder*
½ cup dark cocoa powder*
1 tsp liquid stevia
2 Tbsp organic maple syrup
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp vanilla bean powder**
*Could combine these to 1 cup cocoa powder. I prefer a darker chocolate, so I used ½ cup dark cocoa
**Could use vanilla extract
THE MINT FILLING
To begin, I blended 1 bag of shredded coconut to make coconut butter. Alternatively, you could melt 1 cup of coconut butter and divide into two bowls.
- For the mint, add ½ avocado, peppermint, stevia and salt to coconut butter and mix until combined. Green color will be uniform. Taste and adjust sweet to your liking.
- Place bowl in the fridge to firm up, 15 minutes.
THE ORANGE FILLING
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining ½ cup coconut butter with orange juice, zest, stevia and salt.
- Place bowl in fridge to firm up, 15 minutes.
- Melt cocoa butter in a bowl over simmering water (double boiler) until melted.
- Whisk in cocoa powder, stevia, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Taste and sweeten to your liking.
- Pour liquid chocolate into molds until half full.
- Place molds in the freezer to harden.
- When chocolate is firm, remove from the freezer and remove coconut fillings from fridge. Using ½ teaspoon scoops, spoon filling into molds. Repeat until all molds are filled.
- Cover molds with remaining chocolate and return to freezer until firm, about 10 minutes.
Enjoy with your sweetie!